It's a good time to be aware of hidden energy costs as the number, size and variety of home gadgetry adds up.
- Televisions are now the fourth largest electricity user in our homes.
- Video game consoles can add up to a considerable proportion of your energy costs if left on 24 hours a day.
- Home entertainment products alone are responsible for at least 5 per cent of our household energy use—more than your washing machine, clothes dryer and dishwasher energy use combined.
- Home electronics and computer products account for around 15 per cent of global household energy use.
- Electronic (e-waste) is now growing three times faster than any other type of waste in Australia.
Your Energy Savings is a good resource to understand the operation and consumption of these devices in more detail: